Newark Engineering Society
The Newark Engineering Society was formed at the recommendation of Dr A Richardson BA DSc FGS, the Principal of the old “School of Science and Art” on 12 March 1928. At a special meeting a resolution in favour of the recommendation put forward by Mr A Menmuir, then Works Manager of Blagg and Johnson, was carried unanimously and the Society’s first Council Meeting was held on 2 April 1928. In the subsequent decades the Society has been supported by major companies in Newark, Newark Civic Authorities and the Newark and Sherwood College. The Society continues to retain a high membership and a very active Council chaired by an annually appointed President to foster new ideas. The Society enables professional engineers, craftsmen, engineering enthusiasts and trained engineers to meet regularly to interchange and discuss experiences over a wide scope of engineering disciplines and to keep up to date with new designs, methods and processes through pre-arranged programmes of interesting and varied lectures and visits. The Society also sets out to encourage the interests of young people in engineering design, production and marketing.